Friday, April 20, 2012

Maine... The Way Life Is

Since we were already on the east coast, we made a hop, skip, and a jump up the eastern seaboard to Maine in order to see my family for a few short days. It was a super quick trip, I'm sorry I couldn't see more people, but I had to meet my newest niece (mission accomplished) and celebrate my mom's birthday (mission not so accomplished so that will need to wait until her visit out here but I've got some plans a-brewing).

Maine, like Florida, did not disappoint. We didn't see her 80 degree days that have been spotted recently, but we had beautiful early April weather that afforded us much time outside. My little city kids definitely got some New Hampshire and western Mass in their DNA and they jumped into the Maine lifestyle with both feet. Usually, those feet were bare and very dirty by the end of the day. Molly climbed more trees, flew more kites, saw more fairies, took more tractor rides, gathered more wood, and scrambled along more stone walls than she gets to do out here, that's for sure. Jack ran around like a crazy lunatic, getting into more mischief than I care to remember, had more sand in his hair than I cared to comb out, and took fewer naps that I had hoped for but he also had a Mainiac of a good time. It restores my soul to go to Maine -- the sky is a little bluer there, the water is a little nippier, the air just has some sort of magic in it -- and I think the small people feel the same way.
It was a busy, short trip but I soaked up every moment with everyone and appreciate that people came up to see us amidst the madness and Jack's very tired, very persistent swatting.

See the little sparkle on the water -- that's the magic...

The littlest wood gatherer... I'm happy to pass this torch along

Purple Popsicle Posse... watch out for this crew.

Homemade kites that actually flew? Craftastic!

My favorite picture of the little rascals.

Grampy (and Grammy, of course) was able to provide lots of entertainment...

The Easter egg hunt... notice that Jack is not interested one whit in the egg in front of him but is very focused on his half chomped apple.

Not this one... she was very into the competition... err... hunt. 

No comments: