Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Land O' Lakes

On Sunday (yes, it was another sunny day in the Okanagan), we went out kayaking on Lake Vaseux about 15 minutes south of us. It's one of the Provincial Parks so it was very scenic and fairly empty (I think we saw two other sets of boaters) compared to Skaha or Okanagan lakes here in town (which really aren't that crowded compared to some of the vacation lakes in New England).

Molly enjoyed the things I hoped she would enjoy -- all the ducks and geese and other birds. She also enjoyed the thing that I hoped she would NOT enjoy -- namely standing up in the boat. For someone who I'm fairly certain is genetically unable to sit still for any significant period of time (unless there is food in front of her), I wasn't expecting miracles. Considering we were out for a couple of hours, I'll call it a success and all in all she did do well as long as someone was singing to her. Lots of singing happens here.

I think she was happiest at the end of the trip when she got to (ironically enough) sit in the water and toss rocks. Or, maybe it was the ice cream that she got on the way home. It was some really good ice cream that came from a dubiously named establishment called Tickleberries.

I wonder what would have happened if we had let her launch herself out. Maybe swimming with the fishies would have been just the ticket.


A lecture from John on boating protocol. Or perhaps this is the beginning of a few rounds of Old MacDonald.


Rocks, rocks, rocks. The kid loves rocks.


Rocks and water in general -- especially when it's bath water temperature. The lake is shallow and thus very warm -- John's type of lake.


For those of you who are inclined to laugh at my hat, well, you may have a point. It's a big, straw hat that I have had for 10 years and it's very near and dear to my heart. It was a hat I bought when I went on a road trip with Erin and Nicole after college and we were in the desert and it was hot. Considering I'm back in the desert and it's still hot, I figured it was time to break it out again. Is it attractive? That would be a resounding no. Is it useful, ah yes, blissfully so.

5 comments:

Liz said...

I like the hat. You look a little like an old lady, but I still like it. And I love love the latest pictures of Miss Molly. She sure seems to like it out there!

Jessie Reardon said...

I am totally impressed- I don't think Sean and I have the guts to take Sadie into any type of confined space, let alone in the midst of a body of water. I'll be sending Sadie out for her kayaking lessons next week!

Kate said...

Agreed - I'm impressed with Molly's willingness to sit in the boat for that long. We took Hannah on the boat Sunday and we had a hard enough time containing her in my Dad's boat - I was literally holding her by the straps as she tried to climb out. Can't imagine a kayak....
The hat..... ummm..... well..... I suppose it's good sun protection right?!

Melissa said...

I would say that a kayak is easier to contain little ones in than other boats. Kate, we had the same experience when we were canoeing earlier this year so I think the smaller the space, the better :)

Holly said...

Great pics! Tickleberries sounds extremely suspect. The little of the hat that I see, I like!