Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Here And Now

My jumble of thoughts for today...

Does anyone else's kid randomly repeat whole sections of books? I'm not asking this to try and showcase that my kid is super duper amazing or anything (although she would agree with that sentiment)... I'm actually asking because it can be very disconcerting to be making toast and suddenly hear "Grandpa's had what's called a stroke, etc." or "Is this a home? I've always wanted a home, etc." or "Dad is sad/very, very sad/he had a bad day/what a day dad had, etc.". WHAT? I've started to listen long enough to figure out what story things are coming from  (okay, the rhyming ones I can catch on to pretty quickly). It's funny, but really, quite disconcerting when she has entire conversations with herself because she says half a book at a time. It's like I'm living in some alternate universe. Maybe this is a preview for teenager-hood when I really will be living in an alternate universe.

**********************************************************************************

When we first moved down to Seattle, I was looking for snow suits for the little people since they were growing out of their current gear. I ended up never getting my act together and ordering them, thus proving to myself that being a giant procrastinator can actually be a great way to save money. Snow suits? Bah. Rain gear, yes please. Molly has never worn out a pair of shoes; she grows out of them before they're really destroyed. We've already worn and torn through one pair of rain boots, though, and she and I were lucky enough to spend Sunday afternoon tromping around (luckily it wasn't raining) looking for new boots that keep her tootsies dry and showcase her personality. Crazy polka dots summed her up pretty well. One of the best finds of all for rain, though, was actually in our closet -- a rain suit that Nana had given Molly last year. Although slightly hazmat-ish in appearance, it's a perfect outfit for the warm, rainy (read: mud) season that we're currently enjoying. We're not up for letting a few drops get in our way of being able to run around outside and this thing is the perfect accessory for that fun.

Apparently, I only can retain two thoughts at a time... I had more random things to write about but they have all fluttered away...

Never have a set of pictures better captured what my kids are currently all about. Jack is clearly enthralled with a plane in the sky and is not even aware of the madness moving behind him. Molly is, well, just running and focusing on her new soccer obsession. This pretty much sums up life right now. A picture really is worth a thousand words.

Here is one of the greatest creations known to man. One can run, slide, slip, blow bubbles, tumble, and roll all the while staying toasty and dry.


This has nothing to do with anything other than being an epic case of not understanding how something is supposed to work. 

3 comments:

Kate said...

LOL - we get some of the same here. Sometimes it's parts of books (always read and then turned outwards to show the pictures to whomever she's reading to) and sometimes she recounts an entire conversation she's overheard at daycare - I always know which kids got in trouble as she replays the day as soon as she gets home. The best is when we're riding in the car and she'll just start talking - I'll assume it's to me and respond and she'll go "Mom, I was talking to XYZ (imaginary flavor of the week)." Very disconcerting. :-)

Where did the rain suit come from? That's incredible!

Kate and Davis said...

I love the pictures of Molly running around and Jack just standing there- priceless.

Liz said...

I agree Katie - such great pictures! Thanks for sharing random thoughts - keep them coming.