Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Faster Than A Speeding Bullet...

It's one thing when you have certain idea about your kids are -- what they like, how they react to certain situations, why the heck you're exhausted at the end of the day -- but it's always even more interesting, and sometimes eye-opening, when someone else who doesn't really know your little ones give you feedback. Friends and family are already aware of Molly's joie de vive and her wacky personality since it's been on display since the hospital birthing room. She talked early and often, moves at lightening speed, and keeps me dancing a fast-paced jig all day long (and I mean all day long now because she doesn't really nap anymore). This is not news. A few weeks ago, though, we took Jack to the doctor for his new patient appointment. Here were some of the outcomes: Molly likes to listen to Jack's heart on the stethoscope. Molly made sure that the nurse knew that it's okay to cry when you "take a shot" and coaxed Jack over to the exam table (even though he really wasn't scared). Molly doesn't always get enough sleep (self-reported). Molly is a big sister... You get the picture? She nearly hijacked the entire appointment with her thoughts on the world, on Jack, on herself, on her listening skills, and on her sleeping habits. Luckily, the doctor is incredible and he managed to examine Jack at the same time that she was pontificating on how Twitter helped the protest moved in Egypt (kidding). He had very kind things to say to me about both kids, but certainly commented on Molly's active nature. We returned the following week for her check-up and the main thing I remember from that, besides that she is healthy and has eczema, was when he said "I don't even need to ask you about her gross motor skills. They are clearly fine" as she was showing him how high she can jump (not that he asked). I think I heard him tell his nurse something about being exhausted when we were leaving...

This past Monday, I took her to "school", a cute little drop-off playspace. When I picked her up the teacher just said "Wow, she's busy." Why yes, yes she is. She told me that she played with every other child, asked everyone their names, ate three servings of snack, finished her entire lunch, and really never stopped moving or talking. She wasn't bossy, she played fine with the other kids, it's just that she didn't stop. Ever. 

You make the choice, somewhere along the line, if you're going to embrace your children's personalities or control them. Really, this was never this choice for me with Molly since controlling gale force winds never has proven successful. Despite an occasional embarrassing moment here and there that I wish could be avoided (the other day in the grocery store, for instance: "Mom, is Thomas (the Train) a boy or a girl? Me: what do you think? Molly: He's a boy. He has a penis. Me: Well, he's a train. I'm not so sure about that... (and now I begin to wonder if this will be one of those times when I decide check-out time is NOW). Molly: Why? Me: Trains are machines, not people or animals so they don't need all the same parts. Molly: Why? and so on and so on and so on with the whys), which I think you sign up for the minute you find out you're preggers, I really would never ask her to be anyone except who she is. She's exuberant, this I know and absolutely love about her, and now it seems that all the strangers in Seattle are learning the same. This isn't all she is -- there are other things about her besides her boundless energy that I hope also shine through and I'm sure they will as time goes on or someone gets to know her better. It's simply just interesting to watch her navigate more of the world on her terms and in her way as she explores and makes friends and tries different things. Nonetheless, it seems very appropriate that Olivia is one of her most favorite stories. The line that reminds me of Molly every single time? "This is Olivia. She is good at lots of things. She is very good at wearing people out. She even wears herself out." My sentiments exactly, Mr. Falconer. 






Luckily, she takes Jack on a lot of her adventures...




9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yeah?? Well, before I even got up I had relined the brakes on both cars and did forty laps in the pool. Before breakfast, I solved the health care issue, rescued five cats from trees and separated all the world's jetsam from its flotsam. For lunch I relaxed with another forty laps in the pool and am currently figuring out how to get to Alpha Centauri in less than 5 years. What did you do today?

Melissa said...

Well, until you can come up with a satisfactory answer to the Thomas the Train question, I'm not happy.

Liz said...

We miss Molly around here! Glad she is making her mark on Seattle. Love the sibling shot at the end, but I am always a sucker for sibling shots.

Grammy said...

Yes, Liz, the sibling shot brings tears. And exuberant Molly is priceless. I wish she were here. And that would also mean we could give her mom a well-deserved break. So... about Thomas the Train -- we could also check on Mary Anne, who was Mike Mulligan's steam shovel, for comparison.

Unknown said...

I read to a group of 2-3 year olds at a child care center today for the area "community reads" program. One of the little girls proceeded to tell me her name and age (3) as well as the names and ages of everyone else there, the first letter of each of their names, and what they all liked to read. Then she did somersaults, hopped like a frog, and directed the morning's readings. I just smiled, as it all felt very familiar.....and nice. (But we didn't read Thomas the Train).

Dad

Kate and Davis said...

Not joking at all - we had the is Thomas a boy or a girl, penis conversation today. It was followed by a similar conversation about Mark the dino. Perhaps we should sit Molly and Oliver across from each other on Skype and see what conversations ensue.

Anonymous said...

This sums up Molly so, so well
.

xoxo
JJR

Kate said...

I'm tired just reading this post. :-) We haven't had the thomas conversation yet... I keep waiting since she and her bro take a bath together EVER night but.... not yet. We're obsessed w/ belly buttons around here these days thought so I figure it's only a matter of time!

Holly said...

Aww, this post makes me miss the Molster. (Hmm, now that I re-read this, maybe that is a better nickname to just say instead of spell. It is one vowel away from a very wierd nickname.) She just cracks me up. Also loving the new blog background- i wonder how it would look in my guest bathroom?