Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Boogie Men

My kids still like to dance. It's pretty funny (except when I'm trying to get out of the house in the morning. Nothing is funny when I'm trying to get out of the house in the morning and I continue to be an epic failure at not losing my mind trying to get out of the house in the morning. Can someone explain to me how people who can remember that I promised them one m&m six months ago cannot remember that shoes AND jackets are required to leave the house in the middle of February? I'm not asking for hats and mittens or even socks, for the love of Pete. I've lowered my expectations to just shoes and jackets. Inexplicably, this ends up causing confusion EVERY SINGLE DAY. And I've digressed on sentence number two...) to watch those little booties wiggling and hands waving and feet hopping. But the outfits? Those make me laugh (when my eyes aren't hurting from some of the color combinations) hardest of all. Molly is the bigger dresser-upper of the two and trends towards ballet-related fare or country music-ish swishy skirts and hats (favorite songs of the week: Cotton Eyed Joe and Thank God I'm A Country Boy. Is that mean that we force John Denver on them? Is it weird that I still love John Denver?). Jack seems to prefer to wear hats and no pants most of the time. He's not picky. His number one requested song is the Thomas theme song but I may poke my eyes out if I hear that jingle again so it's mysteriously been eliminated from the atmosphere recently. Huh, dunno what happened to it... the cloud has failed. Still, I love that they love to dance. 

So, that's it in our world right now -- just the simple pleasures of questionable outfits and little people who like to shake, rattle, and roll. I know there has been some push back (none from my three faithful readers, thank you) these days on people filtering out the tough moments and presenting only the good sides of their happy little lives online. I don't mean to suggest that I've gotten better at not losing my temper or that we always get to bed on time. But, I also like fun times and not getting stuck in the mud of tough times. We all go through rough patches, I hope that is a given, and I think sometimes it's really helpful to write about sticky stuff and sometimes it's good to just feel good about your family and life and appreciate the small things that make our days tick by. Clearly, there is stuff that is unfortunate (see above) but there is also plenty of richness that I want to soak in because, you know, these kids grow up so darn fast. So, while next week I might ramble on about how I can't seem to stop the whining (my own) or why I clean the toilet approximately 450,000 times more often now that a certain little boy stands up when he uses the potty, right now I want to remember all the sights (blinding or not) and sounds of my monkeys dancing to their beats. 



An oldie... raise the roof



Getting the hands juuuust right for Gangam Style is hard. 


She's got it down a little bit better...


Now we're up and run dancing.

Oh right, accessories must be included.


Not sure about the hat and tucked in shirt.


Whoa... tough corner.

With a horse, it's even harder.

No, seriously, this is dancing.

Sometimes, a different hat just adds a little extra spice. 


When you're five, a 2T bathing suit is always appropriate dancing attire.


Dancing is also about partnership, give and take, and cooperation.



\
But, sometimes, when you're wearing things that clash horribly, you get ditched. 

3 comments:

Grammy said...

Do you know how that made me laugh?

Liz said...

I love this post for so many reasons. First, the dancing kids are so darn cute. Makes me want to bust out some costumes and some Cotton Eyed Joe (personal favorite as well) and go to town. Second, I am glad to hear I am not the only one who loses it every.single.morning. Third, imagine the mess of two boys who stand up while peeing. Make that three. I will never have clean toilets again. And finally, I love your sentiment at the end. I think it all depends on why you're writing, and for me, capturing all the fun and fleeting times is what it's all about.

Kate and Davis said...

Love love love the dancing. And your sentiments are just so so true.