Friday, September 27, 2013

A Love Letter

Dear Fall,

I have missed you very, very much over the last four years. There is almost nothing as divine as New England in autumn and it hurt too much to remember how exciting and generous you can be while we were apart. I admit it -- I got distracted and developed a crush on the mild weather in Seattle -- it was painful to forget about you, autumn, but I had to put your gloriousness out of my mind during the drizzly months of late fall out there. I'll admit that I was swept off my feet with being able to comfortably head outdoors for nearly all the months of the year and forgot the allure of four distinct seasons. I even briefly fell head over heels for the dry, hot heat of Penticton. I've come back to you now, though. This thing we have is special and I realize now that there is nothing like New England fall -- the chilly mornings, mild afternoons, gorgeous sunshine, crisp air -- my heart lies with thee forever and ever. The allure of the season will hopefully keep the woeful depression of late winter and dirty snow from becoming overwhelming and your loveliness will be enough to carry us through the other months of the year. I suspect it will be just fine. I want to remember you just like this, especially in March when I've gotten used to seeing crocuses and daffodils pop up even though I know it'll be at least another month before I see them here. I need you to continue to be reliable and steadfast so that I don't get sucked back into thinking spring comes earlier than it actually does. I think you've turned on your charm quite nicely this year and I sincerely thank you for putting in your best efforts this year. I won't forget it.

Yours faithfully,
Melissa

P.S. Apparently, I'm not the only one happily enjoying the season.





















2 comments:

Grammy said...

New England autumn has also missed you VERY much and is so happy to have you back in her arms.

Liz said...

Are you and Fall exclusive? Because I actually also have a bit of a thing going on with him on the side. And where is that amazing beach shot with Jack and the bulldozer from??