Friday, July 27, 2007

Baby Bargains Bafflement...and Birthday Bashes

I'm opening up this general question to a larger audience besides my trusted baby advisers. I know there are other moms and dads and aunties and pirates out there who may have some input on the following questions:

Is there a baby item that you could not live without? (and I don't care if your answer is pots and pans or a dog leash -- this is not restricted to products made specifically for babies).

The (perhaps implied) reverse of that is also worth asking:

Is there a baby item that you thought you had to have and it turned out to be a dud?

In other news, the little pirate got to meet his/her great-great aunt at her 90th birthday celebration this week. My great-aunt Tid turned 9 decades old on Tuesday (a birthday that she shares with other illustrious people as Uncle Greg "the original matey" Gerbi and Grandma Polly "shiver me timbers" Doyle). It was wonderful to see her and see some relatives that I don't get to see often enough. I'm hoping that some of their southern twang rubbed off on the little one. I got made fun of for fully enunciating "you all". Sheesh.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Cannot live without the Ergo, but you already know about that one. I'll think some more. Oh yeah, the portable booster, which we use at home instead of a regular highchair, has been convenient & small.

Anonymous said...

The only things I truly couldn't live without are his mom (awwww) and good diapers (we recommend Fuzi Bunz, if you go cloth). My next favorite baby thing is our king size bed, which may be an unpopular suggestion but I can't recommend it highly enough.

I wish we didn't have so many strollers, because he mush prefers the Ergo carrier.

-Jacob

Ann said...

I feel a little shy to comment, but why not? Congrats on the baby, Melissa and John! For baby items, I would recommend the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD and a good swaddling blanket.

Melissa said...

No need to be shy -- please! We love comments (and especially in this case) advice!

Unknown said...

The Shippee's say...doesn't matter if you plan on breast feeding or not I wouldn't have survived (breastfeeding early on) without a boppy, they also turn into great playthings when baby gets older and can help a learning baby to sit up all by his/her "big big" self. Ben also used it as a pillow for a few naps on the couch from all those late nights (like none you have known yet)