Monday, August 18, 2008

Summer Days Drifting Away

Oh boy, we had quite a summer weekend -- one of those perfect ones that you wish could just keep going. Since Liz and Ben haven't updated their blog this month (ahem... hint hint), we had to travel all the way to Maine to figure out just what they've been up to (watch out Eric and Mary, we're gunning for you next). Actually, prior to our investigative trip we dismantled more of our deck and, paradoxically, made it usable again (although if anyone is itching to wield a hammer, we have plenty more work to be done). Then, we headed to Ben's family compound and enjoyed some gorgeous weather with the bright blue skies that always seem a little bluer in Maine.

Molly got to swim, eat lots of food (actually, this happens anywhere. Lance Armstrong may have had an abnormally large heart but Molly has an abnormally large gullet), and relax on the dock. Perhaps more amazingly, John braved the water and there are pictures to prove it. It helped that the water was above the sub-zero temperatures of the Atlantic, nonetheless, he was right in there.
A late afternoon splash felt good on the piggies.

Molly thought being at the lake was a lot more fun than working on the deck...

and she told John the same thing.


Family swim time -- I'm not sure I ever thought it would happen (and thanks for the float Grammy). Michael Phelps did more than win a bazillion gold medals, he inspired a new generation of swimmers. John got the bronze for time of water entry but he wasn't expected to medal at all so we were really proud.


All that swimming makes for a tired girl.


Ethan helped Molly answer a phone call (I had no idea that the monitors took incoming calls)...



and runs a tight ship -- everyone has to wear sunscreen and the dock gets wiped down at the end of the day. I'm thinking of hiring him to help at my house.


At the end of the day, the paparazzi can be too much.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Molly,

I believe that you are just a growing girl needing appropriate nourishment. (Please remember that I stood up for you when your gullet quality (or should I say quantity) was questioned by your mother. I'll need all the help I can when I become old and this will be on favor I will cash in on.)

Love,
Your Favorite Great Uncle

Kate said...

Looks like a fun weekend!! I was wondering what you had all been up to - can't believe John swam in a lake.... wonders never cease!

Kristin said...

What great pictures, it looks as though it was such a nice weekend! I did't think it was possible but it sounds as though Riley has met her eating match in Miss Molly.

Melissa said...

dearest uncle,
you already have a #1 fan in me.

- your niece