Friday, August 28, 2009

Honesty Really Is A Lonely Word

Is honesty really the best policy?

Example one: (pointing and clearly indicating me) "Mama hippo. Mama hippo" I mean, what woman doesn't want to be called a hippo? Awesome.

Example two: (me) "Molly, are you doing something you're not supposed to be doing?"
(Molly, in a sweet voice) "Yesssss. Yes. YesYesYesYes".

(For the record, dressing herself up in her hats was not what she was doing... I'm still unclear exactly what she as up to. I was trying to clean up a rather odoriferous balsamic vinegar spill, which did not have anything to do with her.)


When Molly dumped out my entire cup of (lukewarm) coffee this morning, I also got to hear the unedited version of how I sounded when I turned around to find the scene. It has now become this morning's oft repeated phrase (said in a deep, growly voice because that's apparently how hippos must sound) "Ugggggggghh. Molly, why you do dat?"

As my midwife reminded me the other day: out of the mouths of babes... comes a lot of stuff that we'd rather not hear. Right-o.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Just wait until AFTER you have had this baby (or two more...) and your toddler niece says to you, "Baby" while pointing to your soft and definitely EMPTY baby belly. Thanks, Molly, you made me feel SOOO good about myself!

Liz said...

Love it. Ethan told me last week that I had big thighs.

Kristin said...

That is too funny! Don't you love the things that come out of the mouths of toddlers!