Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dad, Dad, Dad-i-o

Even when kids are going through a mommy-phase, there's nothing quite like having dear old dad come home every night and be around to spice things up all weekend. Jack and Molly have it really, really good in the dad department and I think they won't even have to look back in twenty years to realize that -- they know it right now. Dads often get the short end of the stick, I think, on their special day; people fawn over moms (and I'm not lodging a complaint on that) on mother's day but I'm not sure the companion holiday has quite the same oomph (maybe dads feel they don't need just one day to get recognized -- they must think their spouse tells them how wonderful they are every day. That's it.). I know that John isn't so much the fawning-over type but he does deserve all the recognition in the world for what a great partner and parent he is. When Jack wasn't winning sleeping awards, John would do many of the late night/early morning sssshhhhings so that I could get some snoozing in. When Molly wants to bounce on the exercise ball/swing on the baby swing/climb all over someone, if he's home, he's totally game for that (I even hid the exercise ball so that I wouldn't have to do any more bouncing but John actually went and got it out of storage to keep bouncing. That's some dad-ication). He shows the kids funny party tricks (don't blame me if you get a lot of thumbs up for a job well done), teaches Molly how to add and spell, spends hours looking at her word book, is a human jungle gym (see the theme of jumping/climbing/bouncing here?), will build and build and build with blocks and trains, cleans Jack up and jammies him up for the night -- all these little things that I completely and utterly appreciate. More importantly, though, the small people do as well. He reminds me not to be the fun police all the time and can always reach back and retrieve a pacifier in the car. So, whether or not father's day gets the same appreciation as mother's day from the folks at Hallmark, it gets it from me.

What would either of us be without our own dads? Besides, the obvious (not here), we get a whole lot of love, advice, and perspective. Our kids, again, totally luck out too and carry very special notions of their grandfathers around with them. Molly (Jack hasn't let on what he likes to think about his grandfathers quite yet) reports that Grampy takes her to the playground (and she gets a bloody lip, even though that only happened ONCE), likes to mow the lawn, and will show her the moon and stars some day. She tells me that Grandpa plays golf, has a convertible, and likes french fries. She immediately asks for these guys whenever one of us is on the phone with Grammy or Nana (sorry), and they both give each of the little maniacs such focused love and attention whenever we see them. And Jack, well, he's just excited for what mischief they let him get into down the road. 

So, once again, a huge merci to all the dads out there. You guys deserve all the thanks in the world. 

Put your head on my... forearm. Still, there's nothing like a dad pillow.


Hey dad, look at me! Jack got really excited to show John his blueberry face and belly (by the way, John does own other t-shirts. This picture and the above one were taken on different days but in the same uniform).

Like father like daughter... I don't know who had more fun in the Contraption Center at the Science Museum this weekend. It was uncanny watching these two build their hearts out. 



I am fully prepared to be in trouble for taking this picture, but for those of you who remember or have heard stories about how John used to build stadiums out of popsicle sticks... well, here is John 2.0 with legos. That's the upper deck in progress...


Here are the pair of Jacks (little Jack was SO little!)

Not the best picture of my dad but he's carrying the wiggliest of worms on his shoulders and there's no standing still and posing for a nice snapshot these days. Nonetheless, having two of my favorite guys together is still priceless to me. 

2 comments:

Kate said...

Oh man - I love the stadium building picture. I'll have to make sure Wilson checks your blog to see that one! Happy belated Father's Day to all the Doyle/Gerbi men. Sounds like it was a fun one!

Holly said...

Very sweet! Also brought back memories of John's marathon staduim-building sessions. He came up with some pretty amazing ones- I wish we saved them somehow. Hope to catch up with you guys in July sometime- maybe in Seattle.