Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Grand Affair

Back to our trip out east... while John and I went off to celebrate Sarah's (and Tom's, I guess we need the groom for it all to happen) gorgeous wedding on the Cape (there are brides and then there are BRIDES. She was stunning and her dress was about as perfect for her as you could get), the wee little munchkins headed north to Maine for some QT with Grammy and Grampy. I don't worry about the kids at all when we leave them with any of their grandparents. I know they are in superbly capable hands (I mean, look at how John and I turned out. Proof is in the pudding, folks. HA.) and there is nothing that the kids could want for. I do, however, sometimes worry about the grandparents themselves. When I'm at that point in my life and I've said sayonara to my own offspring, I want to enjoy sleeping all through the night and for my alarm clock to have an on/off button (I've looked on both Molly and Jack and they don't have one. I think I was robbed). Maybe my folks have gone a little loco but they seem to welcome the opportunity to hang out with the small people day and night. And, just as Kate predicted to me in the weeks leading up to our trip, the kids slept better for my parents than they do for us. Awesome (except for the part about them not always sleeping well for us). I'm guessing some of it had to with the fact that grandparents have endless energy, are super fun, will patiently answer the same question over and over, will bring them outside to show them planets and stars, are shocked every fifteen minutes when the clock chimes and Molly says "hey, the clock is chiming!!", can spend three times as much time filling bird feeders because of the extra "help", and will simply wear small people out in a special way... in my kids' cases, it was also because they got to enjoy two of their favorite activities:

Going to the playground and...


being nearly nudie. My kids love moving around in their skivvies like it's nobodies business. It's a big event if we (and by we, I mean them) keep their pants on all day. 



Thanks to all the grandparents for our hours, days, and nights off . We've loved every second of them (and missed the little people for most of those seconds, too). Thank you so, so much to mom and dad for soldiering the double trouble team for a whole weekend. You guys make it seem so easy and the kids don't even care that we've been gone (mom and dad who??)... Sign up sheet for another weekend trip is on its way. 

By the way, I'm sitting here writing this and Molly is upstairs in her bedroom BELTING out the Star Spangled Banner... what a gift these funny little people are to us. 

1 comment:

Liz said...

Grandparents are the best! Big kudos to Pam and Ray for handling double trouble. Pam didn't even look tired when we dropped you off, Meliss!

Also, Molly's hair is so long! I think it must have been up when I saw her. And I love the little addendum about her belting out the National Anthem. What a hoot!