Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Eh Hoser...

...the Canada/McKenzie thing is worn out.

However, an extremely wise friend of mine once told me that the most interesting, non-worn out pictures are landscape pictures - especially those with no people and no real interesting events taking place. Whenever possible, he said, I should aim to take many of them and unapologetically review each one of them with friends and family.

Fortunately, given the solo advance work/scouting trips to BC, I have ample time to take lots of people-less landscape pictures and share them with all of you. Even better, I've taken them with my cell phone, in all its dominating 1 megapixel glory. If you look closely, you might see a reflection off a windshield. Don't bother trying to zoom in - it's just the 1 mexapixel. Someday this will be called retro and be very valuable.

Clearly, based on the number of people-less landscape pictures, and the fact that I actually learned how to use Bluetooth to finally get some even older pictures off my non i-phone cell phone, it goes without saying that I'm looking forward to seeing Meliss and Molly later this week and taking a few pictures with people in them. For now, though, I present the tremendously interesting, landscape-focused cell phone picture montage documeting weekend travels in Western Canada and Washington state. I know you will agree this is a very high quality montage. It's hard to believe the pictures came from a cell phone. Not an i-phone. Just a regular cell phone. One that is cheap enough that it does not require a protective leather or rubberized cover. Or not anymore, at least....




On the way from Seattle to the sunny Okanagan. Did I mention my amazing non i-phone can capture engine blades while they spin in mid-air?




No need to click on the pictures for the bigger version. That's 1 megapixel.


Visit the Okanagan for the sunny weather and vineyards. Stay for the Shindiggers.




Unfortunately the sunny Okanagan Valley was only sunny for the first 3 of 13 days I was there....


...but fortunately, things are getting back to normal...









This past weekend, I had a great chance to visit our nieces in Seattle and retrace the the maiden voyage that Melissa and I took on the Coquilhalla Highway back in December. The Coquilhalla is a scenic drive through BC that I would recommend highly, particularly in the winter months. The road signs on the Coqulihalla are also very straightforward and easy to understand. They all translate into roughly the same message, which I understand to be "Drive this road in January and you will not reach your destination." I think Melissa really liked driving it back then - you should ask her about it. It's more fun in the winter if you have a 2-door Chevy Aveo rental, although it's not bad in the spring either.





This sign tells you to reduce speed for winter weather, but I think the next one is more direct and relevant:


It's actually a more scenic drive in the spring...







Once in Seattle, the roads were a little easier to navigate, and niece Katy (for those unfamiliar with how I refer to close family, I aim for complete clarity by prefacing all names with the relation, for example, "Cousin Brian") took some time to show me how easy it is to get around town







Here she was saying "Aunt Holly is better than you at buying cool presents, Uncle John"





Obviously leaving the east coast for a while is a big change for Meliss and I, and it'll be pretty tough not to see everyone as regularly. One bright spot, after hanging with Katy and Emily for the weekend, is knowing Molly will still have a couple close nieces like Erin and Meghan so she can learn important childhood lessons such as bedtime negotiation and how to exchange Celtics-Bulls playoff action on TV for the equally action-packed Cars DVD. Cars seems to be the animated movie to market NASCAR nation to kids, and appears to be fairly popular amongst the junior crowd in Issaquah. Not being a NASCAR fan, I found the movie highly exciting. For example, I learned if you do a bad job paving the road in Radiator Springs, you will be forced by the Roscoe P Coltrane-esque tow truck, police car, and old-man Hudson Hornet car to stay in town and re-pave the road until you get it right. I assume this is a subliminal message on the value of doing things the right way.

The weekend in Seattle wrapped up with a sunny Sunday morning, and big thanks to Mary and Eric (and Jane!) for letting me stop in for the weekend. I headed back to Penticton on Sunday afternoon, this time heading through Washington state instead of going back up through BC and the Coquilhalla. The drive through Washington state is very different - can you tell?



No? Do you notice all the other cars?

Heading up through the Columbia River valley, which is what I think it is called, the landscape changed quite a bit, although I did figure out what happened to my friend Will's old K-car






I won't tell you how fast I was able to drive up through this part of Washington, but let's just say I was pleasantly surprised by how short the trip can be between Issaquah and Penticton.



Anyhow, that's enough of the landscape pictures for now, although if anyone wants to come skiing next winter, I'll put a standing offer out there to rent the condo at Apex Mtn, which is about 30 minutes away




Looks good to me!





Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to catching up in person soon.

6 comments:

Liz said...

John, you should write more often - you are very funny. However, I don't think you should take so many cell phone pictures while driving - especially on those roads!

Kate said...

We can't wait to come see it all in person and take some of our own pictures to share..... and I agree w/ Liz - stop taking pictures while driving!! Have fun in FL!

John said...

well you know, i of course stopped the car to take every picture. the ones where it looks like i am moving quickly in the middle of the road with oncoming vehicles are just "optical illusions"... my non i-phone cell phone camera has a feature that does that too.

Holly said...

Hilarious!! Promise me that you will check out the Shindiggers at some point. I can't wait for you guys to get settled so that I can come and visit.

Melissa said...

Hee hee... Now please come home!

Beth said...

What kind of camera were you using, those shots are amazing?

Cannot wait to hear about all your Canadian adventures.