Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanky Panky

I'm thankful for all sorts of things this year. Our own little family is healthy, happy, growing and full of energetic fun; we both have wonderful parents, siblings, in-laws, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins and any other sort of familial configuration one can come up with; and our friends have stood with us and not forgotten us even though we are all the way across and above our home post. I am, really and truly, grateful, humbled, and very touched by all the gifts and well wishes that people have sent our way with regards to our move and Jack's birth. I'm notoriously bad about sending presents and remembering birthdays in a timely manner but people haven't let that stop them from continuing to include us in their lives. This year, being so far from so many who mean so much to us, it has been particularly heart warming. Just like the Grinch, it has made my heart grow three sizes this day (no jokes, I'm not that grouchy in the morning). No other year has Thanksgiving felt as relevant as it does this year.

With all of that said, I am particularly thankful for four people who have made our transition to double parenthood much easier. No, Molly is not one of them, although I love her dearly; let's actually place her on the other side of the helpful list. Our parents have been indispensable in helping us manage over the last many weeks. They have been our chefs, garbage men/women, table fixers, present buyers, toddler distractors, chauffeurs, grocery getters, companions, dishwasher emptiers, sages, and every possible other helpful adjective that you could imagine.

As many of you know, too, I'm very close to my parents and it's been hard to be far away (let's just say that I may still call my dad if I can't figure out why my bike pump isn't working). I can't thank them enough for giving me the time and space to be a new again mom while still being my mom and dad in every way that I needed them to be. Thanks to you guys -- I couldn't have planned it any better.

We wish you all a happy and healthy Thanksgiving this year. Ours is dedicated to our moms and dads.






4 comments:

Kate and Davis said...

What a wonderful post - you are a beautiful writer who can capture feelings so perfectly. Parents are so special - people to be very thankful for.

Liz said...

Your blog always makes me cry! What a nice tribute. Happy Thanksgiving - we miss you!!

Beth said...

Kate & Liz have said it all -- great writer and tear initiator -- that's Melissa. We miss you so much!

Mary Doyle said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Love Mary, Eric, Katy and Emily