Saturday, April 24, 2010

Thank You For Being A Friend

Those astute and wise ladies (yes, it's the Golden Girls) said is best: your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant...and I'm one lucky duck. I've written about my unbelievably wonderful, supportive family before but I've also got some really, really great friends that I may not thank enough but about whom I've been thinking lately. Being away from such a supportive group of gals (and guys) puts all these relationships in perspective. I oopsed it all up with a friend of mine this week and I found out two things from that: 1) I never really want to do that again because heaven forbid she doesn't forgive me some day and 2) It's actually a wonderful feeling when people can tell you that you've messed up and don't feel the need to hide it. That whole snafu combined with some recent great visits, emails, and the anticipation of celebrating a lovely upcoming wedding have given me the chance to have my own little private retrospective of my important friendships. I've had the opportunity think about all of the circumstances where I've met people who have ended up being really meaningful and exceptional friends and it's made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (not to mention super sappy). This includes, of course, my daily sanity savers who provide advice, shoulders to cry on, and lots and lots of laughter -- I don't even want to think about what I would do without them. It's all the different types of friendships that I have -- from the oldest, steadiest ones to the newest, how-did-we-not-know-each-other-before ones (and every wonderful one in between) -- that make me so very, very thankful to all of you out there who put up with my foibles, flakiness, and occasional rant. I genuinely appreciate all the love that I get to give and receive.

Molly has made some fantastic friends who make her little two year old heart do flip flops every time she runs past one of them on the playground or on a play date (literally... she always manages to do a lap around someone before coming back in for a hug or a hello) and I hope they stick with her, crazy hair and all, for years to come. Jack hasn't had as many opportunities in the friend department as far as small people his age are concerned but his older pals take good care of him and give him lots of reasons to smile and love life. Whatever challenges these two face in their lives, I have a feeling they will weather the storms successfully because of all the munchkins who are already surround them. Between all our amazing family and friends, I know that these guys will be okay and that makes being a parent much easier. Wherever these kids collect their pals, I hope that they give of themselves as much my friends do. Going to bed with a full heart each night is a gift that I'm thankful for every single day.

All of these are oldies but goodies...











4 comments:

Beth said...

You are a good friend Melissa -- Molly & Jack are learning about friendship from one great model.

Liz said...

Such a nice post, and a wonderful trip down memory lane looking at all those photos. And there is plenty of crazy hair to go around among these kids. Just take a look - Molly is not alone. :) I'm thankful every day for our friendship and I hope my kids are lucky enough to find friends like you.

Kate said...

Agreed! Molly and Jack are learning from a great role model in the friendship department! And I love all the old pics!

Jessie Reardon said...

what would we do without our friends! i love that pic of molly & sadie- i can just hear sadie laughing :)