Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dynamic Duo

There has been a subtle but definite shift in our house over the past several weeks... a lovely, welcome, timely one. Recently, the peals of laughter bouncing off the walls haven't all been because of my hysterical jokes and actually have very little to do with me... and everything to do with the small people. Although there still is, and I assume always will be, antagonism afoot, these two have been playing more and more together and really becoming a thick-as-thieves twosome. I was picking up the other night when I heard scampering across the floor and giggling up the wazoo and I was able to sneak upstairs and just watch these two love on each other and be each other's best buddy without them immediately noticing me. It was so fun... so, so, so fun and rewarding and sweet and funny. It touched off a lot of emotions, actually. I'm used to being in the middle of things with one or both of them -- mediating or helping or soothing or getting something or just mommying -- but these days I'm getting edged out a little bit. Trust me, it's FINE -- I WANT it to happen. I want them to scheme and conspire and confide and help each other, but it is a shift in our dynamic and that takes getting used to a little bit. This really isn't about me, though, it's about them and their growing relationship. The big gulf of ability that used to separate them is slowly closing and their different personalities have started to really complement each other. Jack is always, always looking for a good time and he tends to make his own fun no matter what. Molly is more elaborate and deliberate in her constructs of hilarity but these guys just click as they discover the best parts of each other more and more each day. It's a gift to watch them and to see them appreciate what the other brings to the table without overanalyzing it all -- it's just pure, sweet childhood and siblinghood at its best. 

Tea for two, please. I'll write more on this at some other time and how it devolved into a nekked tea party. 

Here's what I heard when I got upstairs... "I wanna be a cow girl and you can be my cow boy"... Dads teach their kids all sorts of important things about life like '80s one hit wonders and drinking milk from your cereal bowl... ahem. 

The big fish's #1 fan.

Braving the drool to swoop in for a hug.

Serious, serious fun.

I'm not sure exactly what game Jack got roped into playing here but he's a happy camper...




7 comments:

Grammy said...

Maybe Jack can show Molly how to find and enjoy chocolate yogurt all by themselves :-)

Kate said...

Hooray! This gives me hope for my house!

Katherine said...

Oh these pictures are just killing me. I love Jack in the headband. Also the drool chest! I've really noticed Sadie & Ruby playing so much better together too!! So great :)

Katherine said...

sorry about that- logged in under one of my many aliases....

Kate and Davis said...

What wonderful pictures! How exciting for you. I am looking forward to Oliver and Henni playing together.

Liz said...

Nothing sweeter than sibling love. And such great (blackmail) shots too.

Anonymous said...

NOTHING makes a Mom happier!

- Beth