Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Getting Into the Spirit of Things

I may just be overtired and suffering from excessive mom-hormones but I don't think I've cried during any other Olympics as much as I have this year. Lindsay Vonn's first comeback win was awesome, for sure, and Shaun White is pretty dang amazing. Alexandre Bilodeau's win, though? And his story? Inspiring, exciting, so so cool. Kevin Pearce? Wow. I really need Bob Costas and all his guests to exit my living room soon so that I can rehydrate. And the ads don't even give us a break. The Superbowl ads were pretty weak this year; I think people on this side of the border were zapping up all the creative energy. There have been some tear jerkers during these Olympics that, well, send a few wet ones rolling down my cheeks each and every time I see them. You Yankees may not get the pleasure of seeing the Tim Horton's ads, but I assure you, there is one that sends me for the Kleenex each time it pops up (I'm going solo on this one. Not everyone in my house agrees with me).

Molly has even gotten into the Olympic spirit -- she likes the hockeys, curling (sorry to my Canadian friends, still don't like watching it), and the ice dancing (ick. sorry, don't like that much either). Jack really likes all the different skiing events and short track speed skating... probably because that's what he sneaks a peak of when I'm holding him and am glued to the television. John enjoys making fun of what the figure skaters are wearing.

Molly will probably try and convince him of the merits of her sports and she's pretty convincing these days. These two are rapidly becoming BFFs and my influence is likely diminishing.

Molly: "Jack, here is this plate. You NEED to have it."


Jack: "Really, mom? Do I really need to hold it?"


Molly: "Yes, Jack, you should do as I say. Don't listen to Mom."


Jack: "Sorry, Mom, she told me I had to."


Jack: "I wonder what she wants me to do with it, though. I hope she comes back."



5 comments:

Kate said...

Such cute pictures of Jack and Molly - they certainly look like they are getting along swimmingly!

Holly said...

I am totally with you on that Tim Horton's ad! They should all get an Oscar!

Jessie Reardon said...

This plate scenario is too funny. You are amazing at putting words into a 4-month old's expression. You have a real talent,

Beth said...

The Tim Horton ad choked me up -- thanks a lot. Molly & Jack keep me smiling though!

Liz said...

I agree with Jessie that you have a real talent for interpreting Jack's expressions into hilarious conversations. I also agree that the olympic ads are tearjerkers this year. I cry every time they show the Parenthood commercial with the "Forever Young" song. And the P and G ads about moms are rough too. Love your Olympic updates - you should be a commentator!