Thursday, February 25, 2010

Skate This Way

I think I'd better give Sarah Palin a call because I need some advice on becoming a hockey mom. Friends of ours keyed us in to open skate for tots and parents (which translates into tots and dad for this family. The skating gene forgot to make a stop for in my DNA) on Wednesday evenings. It may not be the competitive hockey league that John was looking for but it sure was fun (and pretty cute) and Molly was excited for it all -- from the helmet down to the skates. I was expecting the novelty to wear off the moment she stood up and was wobbly on her skates, but nope, she protested taking all her gear off in the end. My friend Jessie had said Sadie really enjoyed her first skating experience but I really was expecting to hear that Molly's skates were too tight, her helmet was too tight, her mittens... mittens? What are those? Some small people normally REFUSE mittens.

I would consider that she might become a figure skater instead of a hockey player except for the fact that at school today, her teacher was talking generally about the Olympics while the kids were doing their free play. She was chatting with some of the kids about seeing the athletes and was anyone watching the events and how exciting it was. The kids in her vicinity were sort of ignoring her, focused on their art, and all of a sudden Miss I-Don't-Own-An-Inside-Voice yells "HOCKEYS" and scared the bejeesus out of most people in the room. She sure does love those sticks and pucks.


Geared up and ready to go


Hi mom


Enjoying making John break his back despite being fairly steady on her skates


If only I could actually grocery shop this way...


In addition to the skating, somehow managed to figure out that skates create little ice shavings and she kept trying to shove them in her mouth. Gross.


Jack, on the other hand, is tuckering himself out after learning to roll from his back to his front. I'm honestly shocked that his giant noggin has cooperated in this endeavor. I expected that milestone to happen around the same time he took his first legal sip of beer. Will wonders never cease?





3 comments:

Jessie Reardon said...

I'm glad she had fun!!! She looks so cute on those skates. That grocery cart was a good idea, too!

Kate and Davis said...

I would love to sit in on a conversation between you and Sarah Palin. Congratulations Jack!

Kate said...

So classic. Looks like she had so much fun - although I'm guessing John enjoyed it a bit too!