Saturday, March 13, 2010

Date With Destiny

Each day, I usually get a good chunk of time when both kids are sleeping in the afternoon. Perhaps in order to make up for some challenging night times, Jack has turned into a really good napper (most of the time). More importantly, though, I almost always have time when just Jack is awake. I love our little afternoon dates when the human whirlwind is snoozing and we aren't running around to various activities. It's just the two of us and we get to sit (or lie) down and make silly noises and practice new skills without feet in the face or fingers in the eyes. It's time that I probably didn't appreciate enough with Molly but am soaking up with Jack. Second (and third, fourth, fifth... we're not going there) children may miss out on one on one time with mom and dad (and gain so much with sibling time) but I think I'm often more present with him during these moments than I was with Molly since it's usually a fairly small window of alone time that we have each day. He's a busy man but also a cuddly, funny cutie pie. He's got blue big eyes that just look and look and look at you and he gives enormous slobbery grins and kisses in return for a laugh or smile. His littleness is flying by and I'm grateful for my daily, drooling, date.


Hey mom, look -- it's just us!


First, we're going to eat our fingers. If you don't want to eat yours, I'll chomp on them.


Now, we will make funny faces because you laugh at me and I will do anything for a big, goofy smile.


And now, I will talk and talk and talk and talk. What do you mean, mom, that you hope this doesn't mean that I'll be like my sister and barely breathe during my running commentaries.?


What, I can look sweet AND try to sit.


Do I have to do this for much longer, though?

We are off to Florida for awhile so may be quiet for a bit. Jack is looking forward to staying out of the sun and STILL coming back tanner than his sister. We're also excited (consider this your first apology) to thoroughly disrupt any quiet mornings that all the grandparents usually enjoy.

Enjoy your weekends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack is ADORABLE! Enjoy your trip -- I'm jealous!

- Beth

Liz said...

I love this post! I felt exactly the same way about my time with Adam when he was itty bitty - less quantity but much higher quality. And the perspective to know it's fleeting and just enjoy it. Have a great trip!