Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fabulous At Five




My little man was five months old on Thursday. All the cliches ring true -- time has flown, I am more in love with him each day, and it's so incredibly fun to see his personality develop. Each milestone in our children's lives feels, to me anyway, like it's the first time it's ever been done -- as if he or she has the first tooth to ever pop, is the first baby to roll over, or gives the first big, slobbery grin to light up our morning (or middle of the night). Never mind that I've had another slobbery grinner before, these little joys are just as exciting the second time around.

I suddenly feel as if I don't have an infant on my hands; he has really become a baby over the past few weeks. He's still in love with Molly but he has his own little attitude now -- he'll grab at her hair, which sends her into a tizzy, or try and reach for her nose or lips and she gets her knickers all in a twist about that. I like that he's a little fighter and already seems to know a bit about pushing his big sister's buttons. I also love how sweet sweet sweet they can be with each other; she's still his biggest cheerleader and he loves to grace her with a gummy smile. I love both of them separately, obviously, but I really adore the relationship that they already have with each other.

He's still an active little man, rolling back and forth, scooting 360s, jumping and standing when he's held (move over Denise Austin, I am coming out with my own Arms of Steel videos soon... actually, I think I said this about Molly, too. I need to get on this), and very interested in being in the middle of the action. He's a better sleeper now that his tummy issues are medicated but he still would prefer to know the who, what, where, why of a situation rather than fall asleep. He's a cuddler, though, and I love that about him. He's getting better at sitting up, which I think will please him immensely when he can really do it on his own, since his vantage point will be that much closer to the action.

I don't know why five months feels so momentous to me (maybe because 3-4 months was difficult), but here we are and it feels big. I really do love this little man more and more every day.


3 comments:

Liz said...

So very sweet. 5 months is such a fun age. Time sure does fly. Adorable pictures and lovely sentiment!

Beth said...

I love that third photo-- such a cutie! Happy five months Jack!

Jessie Reardon said...

Why do your posts always make me cry. Those expressions of Jack look so much like Molly, so much that I can almost figure out exactly what you are saying to him and in which tone. I love him!