Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ain't Life Grand

We've seen one half of our grandparental unit out here this summer and are awaiting visits from the other half. Really, I'm not sure who loves to have the visitors more -- me or the small ones. It was great to have my parents here to explore some stuff that requires more than just my two hands, not to mention having the opportunity to do some adult sized activities (have I mentioned how many wineries are around us?). Having daytime company was a real treat, not that I don't love the topics that Molly comes up with for us to discuss. The kids... well, who wouldn't be in heaven to have extra people to tickle, love, giggle, chase, make laugh, sing to, ask questions of (and we're at the point where some of the questions are more than G rated), get pushes from, and everything in between that grandparents are willing to do?

I don't know if you've noticed but Molly looks and acts almost nothing like me. The things she did inherit, however, are my short fuse (unfortunately) and my memory. She holds onto to EV-ER-Y-THING and long after my parents left is she remembering things that they say or do or did... whether it was on this visit or many moons ago. Whenever I say "sound like a plan?", she adds "Stan... that's what Grammy says!" or if she's done some stinky business she says "WOOO-WEEE... that's what Grampy says!" So, for all upcoming visitors, you may want to think ahead of time what you'd like your legacy to be.

Reading together.


Geeking out together.


Hugging together.


Standing tall together.




Acting silly together. Please note that the mastermind of this situation was not caught dead with a silly hat on her head. Those are for the other suckers. 

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Hey Mel--Let's make a photo collection of all the times our kiddos have gotten Grammy and Grampy to wear something silly or put something silly on their heads...I know I could provide a few as well! Then we could see how far we can go...as in, "is there anything grandparents WON'T do/wear?" We could make it a game! (Oh wait, do your parents read these comments too???)

Melissa said...

They are troupers, aren't they? I think my dad may have even mentioned the irony...